HOMEPAGE

NEXT PAGE

 

The 6G CAPROTTI 5's

COMPILED BY JOHN POWELL


**********************************************************************************************************************************
EDITED AND PUBLISHED BY GEOFF POOLE
**********************************************************************************************************************************


William Stanier designed the "Class 5" or "Black Five", as they became known to enthusiasts, in 1934.
842 of them were built for the LMS.

 The mixed traffic workhorses were reliable engines which were used throughout the railway network and admired by most railwaymen.

Under British Railways administration several design modifications were made to many of the engines, one of which was outside Caprotti valve gear.

This modification was fitted to twenty two of the class as a way of testing the design with a view to introducing it to future engine classes.

44738 - 57 were all fitted with outside Caprotti valve gear but 44686 and 44687 were built at Horwich in 1951 and were fitted with a new arrangement of
the gear and due to the successful trials it was later used on some of the BR Standard class 5's and the
BR Class 8 - No. 71000 "Duke of Gloucester" which initially was thought to be disappointing but it was later found to be errors in the
engine design and construction causing the problems.

6G had more than it's fair share of the Caprotti 5's as seven of the twenty two were allocated to the depot.

On this page John Powell celebrates the 6G Caprotti 5's and gives a brief description along with several photos of the
seven that were allocated to the depot.


**************************************************************************************************************************


44738.

Built at Crewe Works. Lot No 187.  Entered Traffic  June 19th, 1948.

Went new to 7A Llandudno Junction,  and remained there until Reallocated to 8C Speke on November 9th, 1963.

Withdrawn. June 30th, 1964.

Cut up at its birthplace, Crewe Works. July / August 1964.




Such a sad site!  44738 - 44739 - 44740 in store at 6G shed.   circa 1963. The end is near!   ( Photo P.Owen.)




44738 ( 6G ) c1949. Junction Stalwart





44738 in store at Llandudno Junction. Dec. 1962.  (Photo M.Jones.)





Club Train leaves Chester, hauled by 44738. 1954. (S.D. Wainwright.)





Holywell Jct.. May 1964. 44738.(6G) .  (Photo H.C.Casserley.)




*********************************************************************************************************************


44739

Built at Crewe Works. Lot No 187.  Entered Traffic June 19th, 1948.

Went new to 7A Llandudno Junction and remained there until Reallocated to 8C Speke. November 9th, 1963.

Withdrawn. January 31st, 1965. Cut up at Madden & Mckee, Bootle, Liverpool. May 31st, 1965.



44739 6G waits at Tebay for a banker. c 1960.   (Photo Derek Cross)





44739 coasts into Llandudno Junction. Late 1950s




44739 runs into Chester. c, late 1950s.   ( Photo J. Carter.)




6G Stalwart in store. 44739. October 1963.



Trafford Park Shed. c1965. 44739.




***********************************************************************************************************



44740


 Built at Crewe Works. Lot No 187.  Entered Traffic. May 29th, 1948.

Went new to 5A Crewe North. Reallocated to 7A Llandudno Junction, June 1948 and remained
there until being withdrawn. April 30th, 1963.

Cut up at its birthplace, Crewe Works. May 31st, 1963.



44740 leaves Colwyn Bay . September 1954. Photo N.Browne.




44740 heads for home at Colwyn Bay. June 1955. Photo. G.Sharpe.





44740 leaves Colwyn Bay for Chester. c1950s





"Royal Scot" 46144 ' Honourable Artillery Company'  & 44740 on 6G. September 1962.




****************************************************************************************************************



44741

Built at Crewe Works. Lot No 187.   Entered Traffic June 12th, 1948. Went new to 7A Llandudno Junction.

Reallocated to 9A Longsight. October 3rd, 1953.

Reallocated to 1A Willesden. September 10th, 1960.

Reallocated to 6G Llandudno Junction. October 8th, 1960.

Reallocated to 8C Speke. September 23rd, 1961.

Withdrawn. March 31st, 1965. Cut up at Cashmeres Great Bridge, October 31st, 1965.




44741 ( Possibly) at Longsight Shed. July 1960.   (Photo R.Picton.)




44741 leaves Chester for Llandudno. c1957.    (Photo E.Treacy.)




Long Term 6G Stalwart passes Flint heading for home. c Late 1960.




*******************************************************************************************************************



44742


44742. Built at Crewe Works. Entered Traffic July 3rd, 1948.

Went new to 7A Llandudno Junction.

Reallocated to 9A Longsight. October 3rd, 1953

Reallocated to 21D Aston. September 10th, 1960.

Reallocated to 6G Llandudno Junction. October 1st, 1960.

Reallocated to 8C Speke. September 23rd, 1961.

Reallocated to 27A Bank Hall. January 6th, 1962.

Reallocated to 27C Southport. March 17th, 1962.

Withdrawn. May 31st, 1964. Cut up at Crewe Works. June 30th, 1964.




Llandudno Station. August 1948.    ( Eric Treacy )





44742 ( 27A ) passes Shaw Station on Footex. February 1962.



****************************************************************************************************************************



44686

Brief History of 44686.

Built at Horwich Works. Lot No 199. Cost just over 20.000.

Reliability was never good --Engine records available show that
it spent over 100 days out of service in both 1953 & 1955.

In 1958, it was unavailable for 90 days.

Entered Traffic on April 30th, 1951. Went new to 9A Longsight.

Reallocated to 21E, Monument Lane. 30th, April 1960.

Reallocated to 6G, Llandudno Junction. May 14th, 1960.

Reallocated to 27C, Southport. September 14th,

1963. Withdrawn. 31st October 1965.
Cut up at Wards, Beighton. September 30th, 1967.




44686 (6G) leaves Prestatyn .August 8th,1962. Photo D.Cross.






Brand new 44686 ( 6G ).   c1951.





44686 leaves Chelford for Crewe May 1st, 1958. Photo T.Widd.






44686 leaves Southport for Manchester. June 26th, 1964.



44686 on unidentified shed. No Date.



Chester. Aug 27 1961 44686 (6G). Manchester-Llandudno. Jinty 47297.





Llandudno Junction. 44686 in store pending scrap. c1963.    Very upsetting view!





Llandudno Junction. April 7th, 1963. 44686 in store.




**********************************************************************************************************************************



44687


 Built at Horwich Works. Lot No 199. 1951.

Entered Traffic May 31st , 1951. Went new to 9A Longsight.

Reallocated to 5B Crewe South. September 10th, 1960.

Reallocated to 6G Llandudno Junction. October 8th, 1960.

Reallocated to 27C Southport. September 14th, 1963.

Withdrawn. January 31st, 1966.
Cut up at Cashmeres, Great Bridge. March 31st, 1966.








44687 at Birmingham New Street. June 1951.








44687 at Bangor. c.1962.







44687 passes through Stafford. June 3rd, 1952.













Crewe Station. June 1952. 44687. Photo B. Greene






Llandudno Junction. Stored. 44687. 1963 Photo Eric Sawford.







Monument Lane Shed. August 1960. 44687.




NEXT PAGE

HOMEPAGE